Paid parking facilities are located roughly 15 minutes from the stadium and can be used on a first-come, first-served basis.  A midget car meeting reportedly attracted a crowd of 50,000 people in 1948.. Chelsea fans celebrate ‘fortress Stamford Bridge’ after Liverpool’s Anfield loss keeps unbeaten record intact  It is the home of Chelsea Football Club, which competes in the Premier League, the highest division of English football. Chelsea has once again made hotel rooms at the Copthorne Hotel at Stamford Bridge available for NHS workers as England has entered a third national lockdown. The M25 circles London and the stadium, and will connect to many of the following roads based on location: Stamford Bridge is located southwest of Central London, outside of the Congestion Charge zone. Each stand has at least two tiers & was constructed for entirely different reasons as part of separate expansion plans. The stadium itself was originally used as an athletics club and maintained that purpose until about 1904. Stamford Bridge has four, state-of-the-art, all-seater sections that are close to the pitch and can create an electric atmosphere. The Matthew Harding Stand, previously known as the North Stand, is along the north edge of the pitch. The new East Stand was finished, but most of the (unusable) running tracks remained, and the new stand was also displaced by approximately 20 meters, compared to the pitch. The Shed End is along the south side of the pitch. A speedway team operated from the stadium from 1929 until 1932, winning the Southern League in their opening season. Opened in 1877, the stadium was used by the London Athletic Club until 1905, when new owner Gus Mears founded Chelsea Football Club to occupy the ground; Chelsea have played their home games there ever since. In 1931, black cinders were laid onto the circuit suitable for use by speedway and athletics.  On 3 October 2011, the club issued a statement, in which it proposed to buy back the freehold from Chelsea Pitch Owners Plc. However, at the start of the 2005-06 season, then-manager José Mourinho requested that the family section move to this part of the stand, to boost team morale. It is the heart of the stadium, housing the tunnel, dugout, dressing rooms, conference room, press centre, Audio-Visual and commentary box. It would then lease the land back to Chelsea and railway operators Network Rail, meaning the Crosthwaites would be entitled to compensation but would not be able to prevent the redevelopment. In 1939, a small two storied North Stand including seating was erected.  Though they were not the preferred bidders, they released artistic impressions of the proposed stadium at the BPS on 22 June 2012. Construction of the stand almost caused another financial crisis, which would have seen the club fall into administration, but for the personal intervention of Roman Abramovich. Noted football ground architect Archibald Leitch, who had also designed Ibrox, Celtic Park, Craven Cottage and Hampden Park, was hired to construct the stadium. The family's argument was that further building at the stadium would block out their natural light. An attempt by Chelsea to bring back greyhound racing to Stamford Bridge in 1976, to alleviate debts, failed when the GRA refused them permission to do so.. Away fans were moved to the Shed End.  The club then sought the help of the local authority, Hammersmith & Fulham Council, in order to continue with the Stamford Bridge Redevelopment Project. It was announced on 5 January 2017 that the planners at Hammersmith and Fulham council had approved the redevelopment of the stadium. GRACEFUL TECHNICIAN • NERVELESS STRIKER  The FA wanted to show no favourites in using the national stadium. Four years ago on January 11, 2017, Chelsea looked set to usher in a new era in west London as they were given planning permission to rebuild Stamford Bridge. It has also hosted numerous other sports, such as cricket, rugby union, speedway, greyhound racing, baseball and American football.  Although Chelsea wanted exclusive rights to Wembley, the FA suggested that fellow Londoners Tottenham Hotspur F.C. Previously, it was the home to away supporters on the bottom tier. The capacity of the stadium is 40,834, making it the ninth largest venue of the 2019–20 Premier League season. Visitors are able to visit the WAGs lounge and then watch an introductory video message from the former vice-president Richard Attenborough. A motto on the wall of the museum reads "I am not from the bottle. Stamford Bridge briefly hosted American football – despite not being long enough for a regulation-size gridiron field – when the London Monarchs were based there in 1997. Browse the online shop for Chelsea FC products and merchandise. Future: Stamford Bridge Redevelopment Project, CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (, UEFA Women's Cup and UEFA Women's Champions League, "Premier Talents Brings Brazilian Blue to the Bridge", "Chelsea v Manchester United battle has lost its edge", "Chelsea get permission for new expanded Stamford Bridge stadium", "Football: News, opinion, previews, results & live scores – Mirror Online", "The forgotten story of … Britain's first floodlit cricket match", "10 Facts You Need to Know About Club Legend Peter Osgood | Official Site | Chelsea Football Club", "Why did Chelsea remove the names of David Speedie and Nigel Spackman from the stadium? The stream had two local bridges: Stamford Bridge on the Fulham Road (also recorded as Little Chelsea Bridge) and Stanbridge on the King's Road, now known as Stanley Bridge. The aforementioned executive boxes, also known as the Millennium Suites, are the home of the majority of matchday hospitality guests. On 6 March 2017 full permission was given to redevelop Stamford Bridge by the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, who said the "high quality and spectacular design" would add to the capital's "fantastic array of sporting arenas". The middle tier is occupied by facilities, clubs, and executive suites. Any proposal to enlarge the facility would necessitate demolition of the adjacent Chelsea F.C. In June 2015 significant upgrades were made to the undersoil-heating, drainage, and irrigation systems. The re-building of the stadium commenced and successive building phases during the 1990s eliminated the original running track. The existing Stamford Bridge was built of brick in 1860–1862 and since been partly reconstructed. Record PL attendance: 42,332 v Newcastle United (4 December 2004), Stadium address: Stamford Bridge, Fulham Road, London, SW6 1HS. On 27 October 2011, Chelsea F.C. It is the largest football museum in London. Chelsea Football Club have worked in partnership with AccessAble, to produce detailed pan-disability guides for Stamford Bridge. See the public transport section for more details. It has recently been decorated with lights and large images of Chelsea legends. Welcome to the official Chelsea FC website. The seated stand which replaced it is still known as the Shed End (see below). But due to the financial situation in the mid 1970s the other stands weren't rebuilt for another two decades. This meant that spectators were separated from the field of play on all sides by the width of running track and, on the north and south sides, the separation was particularly large because the long sides of the running track considerably exceeded the length of the football pitch. The construction of the East Stand some 20 years earlier had begun the process of eliminating the track.  Eighteenth century maps show a "Stanford Creek" running along the route of what is now a railway line at the back of the East Stand as a tributary of the Thames. Soon after the takeover, a decision was taken to drop the "Chelsea Village" brand and refocus on Chelsea as a football club. Chelsea will take down the Frank Lampard banner at Stamford Bridge following the game against Wolves on Wednesday evening. The upper tier provides spectators with one of the best views of the pitch and it is the only section to have survived the extensive redevelopment of the 90s. There are currently details of 6210 matches in the database, of which there are: The ground is a 10-minute walk from the station.  Totalisator turnover in 1946 was nearly £6 million (£5,749,592); to put this in perspective to football, the British transfer record at the same time in 1946 was £14,500. Subsequently, with the opening of the football club, the need for a pitch resulted in the construction of the pitch. The Main Entrance is flanked by hospitality entrances, formerly named after former Chelsea players Nigel Spackman and David Speedie. The current pitch at the ground measures approximately 103 metres (112.6 yd) long by 67 metres (73.2 yd) wide, with a couple metres of run-off space on all sides. Chelsea's English head coach Frank Lampard gestures during the English Premier League football match between Chelsea and Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge in London on October 3, 2020. The view from the upper tier is widely regarded as one of the best in the stadium. Along with the installation a new hybrid grass pitch, this brought the pitch up to modern standards.  Stamford Bridge was built close to Lillie Bridge, an older sports ground which had hosted the 1873 FA Cup Final and the first ever amateur boxing matches (among other things).  However, its location in a heavily built-up part of Inner London, in between a main road and two railway lines, makes this difficult. Sir Oswald Stoll Mansions form the western frontier. Designed by Archibald Leitch, it was an exact replica of the Stevenage Road Stand he had previously built at the re-developed Craven Cottage (and the main reason why Fulham had chosen not to move into the new ground). It has a capacity of 41,837 and the club has plans to expand capacity to 63,000 by the 2023–24 season. West London Line on Overground and Southern Rail services, which go to to Milton Keynes and Croydon. It formed the boundary between the parishes of Kensington and Fulham. However, previous to this, in 1898, Stamford Bridge played host to the World Championship of shinty between Beauly Shinty Club and London Camanachd. In October 1905 it hosted a rugby union match between the All Blacks and Middlesex, and in 1914 hosted a baseball match between the touring New York Giants and the Chicago White Sox. The accessibility information in these guide aims to assist fans with disabilities and provide an additional resource to help home and away supporters plan their visit. Directions to ground: come out of station with Chelsea Harbour on your right; follow until you can turn left onto Lots Road; turn left again onto King’s Road, right onto Holmead Road, and left onto Fulham Road. Please note full road closures are in place outside the stadium 90 minutes before kick-off and 60 minutes after full-time. Stamford Bridge has been a venue for England international matches, FA Cup Finals, FA Cup semi-finals and Charity Shield games. Stamford Bridge had an official capacity of around 100,000, making it the second largest ground in England after Crystal Palace. However, the electric fence was never turned on and before long it was dismantled, due to the GLC blocking it from being switched on for health and safety reasons. This structure captures and concentrates the noise of supporters. The North Terrace was closed in 1993 and the present North Stand of two tiers (the Matthew Harding Stand) was then constructed at that end. In 1964–65, a seated West Stand was built to replace the existing terracing on the west side. Thomas Tuchel …  It, however, failed and the experiment of playing cricket on football grounds was ended. From North: M1, A3220, A41; passing Edgware and Watford, From South: A3, M3; passing Richmond and Wimbledon, From East: A12, A13, A4; passing through Central London, From West: M4, A4, A40; passing Brentford, Slough and Windsor. It is positioned in a recess of the West Stand near the Millennium Reception. The club carried out a public consultation in June 2017 to gain feedback about the stadium design. Interestingly the pub where the Club were formed still exists and is now called the Butcher’s Hook. Having officially opened in 1887, Stamford Bridge is the oldest stadium in the Premier League and it has undergone a huge transformation since its humble beginnings as the home of London Athletic Club in the 19th Century. On 1 August 1968 the GRA closed Stamford Bridge to greyhound racing quoting the fact that Stamford Bridge had to race on the same days as White City. His investment in the club enabled construction of the stand which was completed in time for the 1996–97 season.